Wednesday, May 22, 2013

A Stranger Named Ken (I Think)

Let me preface by stating I do not like Walmart. Here is just one of my reasons. Have you ever noticed they hire a lot of old people? Which I am not bagging on in the least, what I don't like is how these people are treated. Numerous times I have been in Walmart and seen these elder workers unfairly mistreated. If there is one thing you must know about me, I have 2 BIG soft spots. 1) Old people. 2) Men. My mom always tells me I like my dad more than her. It's not true...it's just I have a lot of sympathy for them, along with old people. Soft spots I tell you! Anyway, so what do you get when you cross an elderly man working at Walmart? A very emotional JaNae! I don't often go to Walmart but the times I do I, without fail, see this old man (About my Grandpa Larson's age, p.s. grandpa you're not old. haha)  walking the store with his little broom and dustpan. He keeps to himself and is always looking at the ground. I make it a point to try to make eye contact with him, but it is very hard. Yesterday I had to go buy something real quick and as I was walking I saw him yet again. He just looked so sad. While I'm glad he has work, there is a part of me that just wants to cry every time I see him. Why is he still working at his age? Maybe he wants to be working, but I don't know. But Walmart? Sweeping up after people's messes? It just bothers me. What happened to the day when the young people took care of the old? I know people are going to read this and think I'm crazy and this is a stupid post...but the sympathetic side of me can't see past this poor old man that should be off his feet, not working a crap job. So anyway, I walked past him the first time as he came upon a juice spill in one of the aisles. I hurried past him because I literally almost started to cry (and promise this has nothing to do with post partum hormones). Then on my way back to pay for my items I saw him again, and was closer to tears. Then after paying I saw him a third time on my way out of the store. I checked his badge this time and his badge was a little worn, but I'm pretty sure it said Ken. This time he looked up and I smiled at him and he smiled back! It was wonderful. The first time I had seen him smile, and it was a beautiful, BIG smile. It just made me so happy. Even though I can't go into Walmart and do his sweeping for him (because trust me I would if I could, and have thought about it many a times), I'm glad I could bring a smile to his face. Good ole Kenny holds a special place in my heart. 



Speaking of my heart, these two take up the most space in mine. 
I know nobody wants to read my blog without a picture of these cuties. 

No comments:

Post a Comment